Israeli cattle, these passive European cattle are being mutilated and killed by local Palestinians, jackals and wolves. Israel needs desert cattle that fits its environment and can defend it’s self and it’s calves. That breed of cattle is Texas Longhorn.
This is whom the Israel Longhorn Project is helping
- To solve this problem we need Nachal (an Israeli Army unit that also helps with agriculture projects), The New Shomrim (The teenager group that is protecting the ranches), the Israeli Agriculture police, volunteers and the Israel Longhorn Project all working together.
- Longhorns crossbreed to Israeli cattle will create a hybrid (heterosis). This hybrid will have high quality meat and be able to function in Israel’s desert environment. Improving Israel’s cattle industry and its quality of the beef.
- Longhorns can eat invasive shrubs and cacti, decreasing Galilean fire hazards, and lower their feed costs.
- Longhorns can go further and longer with less water.
- Longhorns have higher reproduction rates and very low loss rates allowing Israeli ranchers to use fewer cattle and get higher incomes.
- Longhorns have excellent calving and mothering abilities; they can produce more & healthier calves up to 20 years.
- Longhorns have horns and know how to use them to protect themselves and their calves from both human and animal predators.
- Longhorns will first threaten the predator giving the jackal and the wolf an opportunity to reconsider.
- Decreasing the amount of poison used and shootings of both jackal and wolves
- Longhorn will lower the high theft and loss rate. Needing fewer cowboys can protect the herd.
- Longhorns are highly resistant to diseases reducing their medial costs. This increases the amount of cattle that are suitable for kosher meat, fewer signs of disease and parasites.
- Longhorns even though they are dangerous cattle they can be trained to both voice and behavior commands. Allowing ranchers and even their children to work with them safely.
- Longhorn can decrease amount antibiotics and anti parasitic medications used, as they are highly resistant to both diseases and parasites.
- Longhorn can help decrease the cost of meat and improve its quality. Requiring fewer antibiotics and less indications of disease in their meat.
- Longhorn can increase the income of the family farmer and decrease their costs.
- We can alleviate the problem of illegal immigration from Africa. By setting up clinics where African migrants can learn the cattle trade and set up ranches at home in Africa. The Israel army can help train them to defend themselves, their village and homes creating a sort of African Pioneers.
- We can use Israel cattle industry to encourage young American Jews to train in Texas, and make Aliyah to work the land. Beit Shemesh area is a hot spot for American immigrants and it would be an ideal place to absorb American cattle ranchers.
- Employ graduates from Israeli Agriculture high schools giving them some work before they begin the army service. Reemploy them upon completion of their Army service.
- Longhorns will be used to help produce meat for those in Israel who cannot even afford a little meat for their Shabbat Dinner.